Chimney Sweeping, Caps, and Repairs
The Top Hatter is a member of the National Chimney Sweep Guild
We have very thorough chimney cleaning procedures, and we guarantee no mess. If you have an open faced fireplace, we will clean it from the bottom up. We clean out the firebox, damper, smoke shelf, smoke chamber, and we brush and vacuum the flue all the way to the top. We conduct a safety inspection, and if there are any areas of concern we bring these to your attention.
We conduct a safety inspection during all of our cleanings and give you a written safety inspection report for your records.
- The firebox where you light the fire.
- The damper that opens and closes to control the draft.
- We also check the interior of the chimney (flue liner) to ensure that there are no holes, cracking or damage.
Next, we go up to the roof to check the exterior of the chimney.
Here We Inspect:
- The height of the chimney ( 3ft above the roofline within 10 feet of the peak.)
- If there is a spark arrestor/cap on the chimney.
- The crown, it should be free of any cracks or deterioration.
- The moisture resistance.
Questions to Expect From Us:
- Are you having any smoking problems?
- Are you having any leaking problems?
- When was the last time you had this cleaned?
- How much wood do you burn?
- What kind of wood do you burn?
- Have you ever had problems with animals getting in?
In addition to our main telephone numbers, we can also be reached at: